Video - how to make a low friction ring with dead eye

Pretty good winter learning curve project.

Nice thing to have.

Here’s picture of one that my rigger set up for me as an alternative to the choker turning block on my boat.

I’m not totally satisfied. It would be better to have both positioning lines come off the ring. As it is, the horizontal line wrapped around the vertical line is prone to riding up. I plan to fix that soon.

In addition to the Jimmy Green video, which I’m sure is very good (I’m just not a Facebook fan), you can also get decent demos at Brummel Splice Demo | Demonstration | Animated Knots by Grog or https://youtu.be/dFCJa7tK51k . With both, the technique illustrated is best if you using stitching after to seize the eye tightly to the low friction ring.

-- Bob

Definitely a fun winter activity. It can get addictive, once you see how many variations are possible. Sort of like trying to bake the perfect loaf of bread.

For deadeyes there is also an approach that doesn’t require stitching, where you rebraid one of the tails to form a proper mobius brummel. Kinda interesting HERE.

Both methods work fine, braiding is tedious..

At the rendezvous Colle from SV Hippo showed me and approach that captures the low friction ring with and eye splice and left a tail that could be used to secure the ring where needed. In this instance the ring was going to be used for a tack reef line. I’ll try and grab a photo next time I’m on the boat.

Rob…

I’m interested in using something like this for a 2:1 halyard. Has anyone done anything similar?

What sort of halyard ?