Hi All, I am on the cusp of purchasin a 1986 Nonsuch 30 Ultra. The current owner has wintered the boat with the mast erected for maybe seven years. I just had this boat surveyed and there were no cracks or sighn of damage around the mast step. Thoughts??? Thank you
Hi Brian,
Where are you located?
Unstepping the mast for winter storage seems to vary regionally—common (maybe near universal) in the north. While the reverse is true in the mid-Atlantic area and further south.
I do think it is a good idea to at least unstep it periodically to permit an inspection of the mast, bolts and fittings.
You will love the Nonsuch 30. It’s a great boat in both it’s classic and ultra versions.
Jim Cosgrove
FATE 30U #343
Galesville MD
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
Brian: Seven years seems like a long time to me. If it was mine, the next time I haul I would pull the rig. In particular, you need to look carefully at the joint for any sign of corrosion.
Also, note how most of us sign our postings. This gives us more info as to what you have and where it lies. Have you joined the INA??
Joe Valinoti
S/V IL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (_ ~ (_ ~ (_~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (_ ~ (_ ~ (_~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hi, I haven’t as of yet but as soon as I pull the trigger on this purchase I will. Thanks.
Hi Brian. As long as it surveys out you will love the Nonsuch. With that said:
Adagio lives on the Gulf Coast. We don’t have a “winter season” so to speak. Yes it gets cold but that’s when some of the best sailing weather starts up for us. She was bought out of Pensacola, FL. The PO owned her for 3 years and had never pulled the mast. She mostly just sat in her slip behind their house. My survey found nothing of consequence other than the keel/hull joint needing to be redone which we had taken care of right after purchase. 6 months later we hauled out to replace the depth and speed transducers. Decided to go ahead and pull the stick to inspect and add a new wind transducer. Boy am I glad I did. If you search for some of my older posts you’ll see why. Found massive corrosion underneath the collar that holds the blocks at the base of the mast. This resulted in a 6 month stay on the hard while I had an internal sleeve fabricated and repaired all the corroded areas. Point being, even though we don’t haul out every year for winter you can bet we will pull the rig a minimum of every year or two to inspect. My understanding is the Major reason to pull it while on the hard is because the boat doesn’t sway in the wind on land but the mast can. If you’re in the water year round like us it may not be imperative. Others probably know better than me.
While making your buying decision keep in mind my issue seems to be pretty isolated. After posting here I was given a lot of awesome advice but it seemed like no one else had the same exact issue. The corrosion was caused by deterioration of the rubber barrier between the stainless collar and aluminum mast mixed with years of saltwater. A recipe for corrosion.
Kevin Wilson
NS30U #475, “Adagio”
Biloxi, MS
Hi Kevin;
Why did the insurance pay for the repair?
Would it not be “normal wear and tear”?
Who did you use for the repair, and what would the cost have been?
Thanks,
Ed Collis
ORION VII
NS30U
Toronto
Sorry…
Upon re-reading, I notice that I should be directing my post at Jenny Lombard, the original poster.
Hi Jenny;Why did the insurance pay for the repair?
Would it not be “normal wear and tear”?
Who did you use for the repair, and what would the cost have been?
Thanks,
Ed Collis
ORION VII
NS30U
Toronto
I too am interested on what ground the insurance company pays. I have heard a similar story from a Nonsucher locally that had a similar problem and the insurance company paid for it (less deductible of course) I would like to know the justification as these companies don’t normally like to pay if they don’t have to.
Ed, you were right the first time. ![]()
To answer the questions:
-
Insurance didn’t pay for two reasons. First being it didn’t even occur to me to file a claim on it. After the sleeve had been ordered someone, I believe here in the group asked if insurance was covering the repair. After having a duh moment I gave them a call. I am insured through BoatUS / Geico. I was told the repair wouldn’t have been covered anyway since the corrosion was already there before I purchased the boat and should have been identified pre purchase either by me or the surveyor. That would have meant unrigging the boat and inspecting under the collars. In hindsight I’m glad I didn’t. My wife asked me if we would have moved forward if that would have been discovered in the survey and I know it would have been a hard pass. The repair frustrated me and cost A LOT but I am so happy with the results and the Nonsuch it’s easy to say it was worth it now. The funny thing is I asked if they would have paid to replace the mast had it snapped while sailing. The answer was maybe depending on the circumstances. Maybe we should have just pushed her hard upwind on a windy day and snapped it. I may have gotten a whole new spar out of the deal. lol!
-
Just realized I probably answered that in 1.

-
To have the sleeve fabricated and shipped from Canada was around 1,600. Labor and yard time came out to about another 1,500. Keep in mind we had other projects going on at the time in the yard. I can’t recall the amount from that that was for the mast. All in all the repair came in somewhere around $3,000 maybe a little less. More than I liked but better than the 10k+ for a new one. I now feel like I have the strongest Nonsuch mast ever. haha!
I used our local boatyard here in Biloxi, MS. They have a great group of guys that excel at thinking outside the box and making things work I would never expect. For the repair they sandblasted the damaged area to clear out all the corrosion and installed the sleeve when it arrived. That involved two strong guys, a sledge hammer, a lot of dish soap, and a rig they came up with that involved a lot of 2x4s, a come along and some ratcheting straps. I sealed the affected area with some epoxy primer and painted it with a 2 part epoxy paint to avoid future corrosion on the already bare and pitted metal. Even if it corrodes through though, there’s a whole other mast underneath it now that starts at the base and ends seven foot up.
Hope that answered the questions. I’ve posted pictures in the past but I’m attaching a few here to illustrate some of it.
Kevin Wilson
NS30U #475, “Adagio”
Biloxi, MS
Hi Kevin.
EXCELLENT photos.
May I ask who made the insert?
It looks like it is a piece of rolled aluminum and not a hollow pipe like the mast, as there appears to be a slot running down the length of the insert.
Happy sailing.
Ed Collis
NS30U
ORION VII
Toronto
(Fresh water boat)
The 2018 Rendezvous starts this Friday, August 3rd at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron in Halifax, Nova Scotia. You can follow the Rendezvous at novascotianonsuch.com.
We’ve got a terrific group of Nonsuch owners from all over North America attending this year. The Rendezvous is taking on a “Kitchen Party” theme and we have some terrific local entertainers performing each day.
Nova Scotia is a little remote for people to bring their own Nonsuch but nonetheless we have put together a fleet of twenty boats for the races and geo-cruises on Saturday and Sunday. Wind conditions look “comfortable” so there should be some good Atlantic Ocean racing for the 26’s, 30’s, 33’s and 36’s in attendance.
Saturday night we’re teaming up with the City of Halifax for a fireworks display in the centre of Halifax Harbour. We are expecting hundreds of locals boats to attend and the weather is looking great. To be honest it’s part of the Halifax Natal Day Festival but we might as well claim it as ours and enjoy the show!
The whole thing wraps up Monday with a big Nonsuch raft up at Wreck Cove or Hangman’s Beach in Halifax Harbour depending on the wind direction.
Again, be sure to follow along at novascotianonsuch.com and watch for updates.
For spontaneous travellers registration for the Rendezvous is still open. Come and join us!
Jamie Morrison
Dexterity II
30U 225
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hi Brian -
If it ain’t too late … Let’s swing this back to the original question regarding pulling the mast to inspect (everything). Our fabulous and well-built boats have a weak point - all things do. With these vessels, it is the joint in the mast. Sailing and/or sitting in fresh water puts very little stress on that joint. The boat moves and the mast sways, just like a windsurfer - no big deal.
Then again, these very tall aluminum sticks bend 24/7- they are unstayed. For that reason alone, there’s more stress on them.
Sitting on the hard locks the poor boat in an inflexible position. The mast (if UP) sways and it puts terrible pressure on the partners (the big, important and costly-to-replace hole in the deck that the mast goes through). It also does no favours to the surrounding deck. In the opinion of the designer, the builder, me and MOST others who routinely haul their boats (more up North than down South) it is a BAD idea that invites serious problems. Many skippers have lots of excuses to go ahead with this practice, anyway. No time… it costs money… it isn’t necessary, etc. and, it must be said that, some skippers have worked out “interesting” ways to guy the mast in place that “should” prevent any problem.
Sorry, but this practice is not recommended*.* It precludes the opportunity to inspect the mast (the funny stick with the JOINT in it). It precludes the opportunity to inspect the partners or, especially, the mast step (which should be fine in 95% of cases but in a hell of mess in the other 5% of cases - we’ve just read on this board of a nasty situation).
Once again, though, it does have to do with a mindset of routinely hauling your boat and unstepping the mast - something only us Northerners are used to.
Regarding salt water (a true enemy of watercraft that some of us take too lightly), salt air and salt spray will not improve the mast joint - it will (possibly) negatively impact it, causing it to CORRODE and weaken. You do not want that, sir. Hopefully, that is not the case with the boat that you are looking at. but … it could be the case.
When I bought MOUSTACHES in 2012, here in Toronto, the boat was on the hard and the mast was out. The joint looked good - no corrosion - but there was a tiny bit of play. I’m lucky as I am close to Mike Quill, master of all things Nonsuch. He rebuilt the joint and did ALL sorts of other replacing of this 'n that and gave me back a mast that 'll last for 50 years. It was a great investment for $1700.00.
In short, Brian, I don’t know if this boat (that you are keen on … and you should be) has spent seven years in chicken brine or nice, easy-going fresh water (or… GULP … on the hard on occasion … with the mast UP) but I would not touch it with a barge pole unless your surveyor has a chance to really inspect the mast and everything related to it. The seller should pull the stick and no one should even consider buying it with the stick still up after this length of time.
It doesn’t cost a fortune to do it and it should be considered a very reasonable cost of doing business. Otherwise, you are looking at very uncharted territory.
OK, Ernie … is that how you REALLY feel ??? Yes, it is !!
Good luck with this.
Ernie A. in Toronto
Ernie, thanks very much for a very enlightening response. Appreciated.
Enjoy. Wish we could be there. Had a memorable experience at the only rendezvous we have been able to attend, in NY Harbor, in 2000. Even that one we attended sans boat but still had a great time. Best wishes to all.
David Young
Bay Cat, 30U #402
Traverse City / Suttons Bay, MI
Agree with Ernie A!!!
Mark Fagelman
Aw shucks, guys … Geeez !!
BRIAN - you are most welcome, indeed. So we are all curious … are you going to buy this little ship ? And, where was it in the water and … where are you located ?
As for me, it’s oh-so-easy to be enlightened when you live in a climate where, sometimes, you launch your boat in a snowstorm and haul it out in an ice storm. Add to that, all of our boats were built 30 nautical miles away, just across Lake Ontario. There are many Nonsuches around here and you get to see plenty of funky/goofy/brilliant things.
Cheers,
Ernie A. in Toronto
Brian: Which type of turning block mount is on that mast?? There are two types one is clamped and one is screwed in. Also, the seam where the joint is can be inspected in place by pulling one or both bolts and using a “Bore Scope” to view the interior and look for corrosion.
Joe Valinoti
S/V IL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (_ ~ (_ ~ (_~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (_ ~ (_ ~ (_~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Yep looks like I am going to take ownership of this gem on Monday. thanks
I don’t know which type of turning block this is. I have the manual here I will have a look this evening
Good for you, Brian !! Welcome aboard.
Ernie A. in Toronto




